- Forms Supported Form 1099-DIV Online
Form 1099-DIV Online (Dividends and Distributions)
Purpose of Filing Form 1099-DIV
Form 1099-DIV reports the ordinary dividends, total capital gains, qualified dividends, non-taxable distributions, federal income tax withheld, foreign tax paid and foreign source income from each investment account held by a fund company.
File Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions, for each person:
- To whom you have paid dividends (including capital gain dividends and exempt-interest dividends) and other distributions on stock of $10 or more,
- For whom you have withheld and paid any foreign tax on dividends and other distributions on stock,
- For whom you have withheld any federal income tax on dividends under the backup withholding rules, or
- To whom you have paid $600 or more as part of a liquidation.
You are not required to report on Form 1099-DIV the following.
- Taxable dividend distributions from life insurance contracts and employee stock ownership plans. These are reported on Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.
- Substitute payments in lieu of dividends. For payments received by a broker on behalf of a customer in lieu of dividends as a result of a loan of a customer's securities, see the instructions for box 8 in the 2017 Instructions for Form 1099-MISC.
- Payments made to certain payees. These include a corporation, tax-exempt organization, any IRA, Archer MSA, health savings account (HSA), U.S. agency, state, the District of Columbia, U.S. possession, or registered securities or commodities dealer.